What's coming up from the Health Performance Council
The Health Performance Council is closely monitoring the latest COVID-19 announcements and alerts from SA Health. Events below may be subject to change as the situation in South Australia unfolds and we receive further advice from the South Australian government. Thank you.
- Health outcomes for people with disability: your chance to have a voice to inform our work: Come to our open stakeholder forum and help us reflect on what we have heard so far in community consultations and to validate emerging findings from our major project to review health outcomes and system experiences for people with disability. Join us online in the afternoon of to let us learn more from your own experiences about what affects health outcomes and what is most important to you if the system were to change.
MORE DETAILS AND FREE EVENT REGISTRATION
- The 14th Aboriginal Leaders' Forum. Due to restrictions put in place in response to the latest COVID-19 outbreak in South Australia, this forum (originally planned for 20 November 2020) is being rescheduled for early to mid-December. If you had previously registered for this event, updated details will be provided soon.
- Data and Analysis Group ("The DAGs") network meeting on Thursday, 10 December. We have two presentations lined up: harnessing predictive simulation methods to enable delivery of better healthcare; and a meta-analysis of published prisoner health data.
What's new from the Health Performance Council
- 24 Nov 2020: SA Health provided its first annual update to the government's formal response to our 2018 4-yearly review. You can download SA Health's update from our reviews page.
- 19 Nov 2020: We received the Premier's response regarding questions from the Aboriginal Leader's Forum in July 2020 and is available from our 'Get involved' page.
- 12 Nov 2020: We held our regular bi-monthly meeting. Minutes of previous meetings are available for download from our Meeting minutes page.
- 26 Oct 2020: We have published the output report from the 13th Aboriginal Leaders' Forum. See our 'Get involved' page for more information.
- 21 Oct 2020: We have published our response to the South Australian Productivity Commission's Inquiry into Health and Medical Research in South Australia draft report that was released on 2 September 2020. View our full submission and response to the Commission's draft report here.
- Aboriginal Leaders’ Forum. Due to government restrictions on in-person meetings and group gatherings during the Covid-19 pandemic emergency, this forum consisted of three separate online webinars:
- On Tuesday 22 September, Nerida Saunders and Kirstie Parker presented an update on the South Australian Aboriginal Affairs agenda including the SA Aboriginal Action Plan, Closing the Gap National Partnership, and Covid-19 responses in SA Aboriginal communities.
- On Tuesday 28 July, Chris Bourke, Henrietta Marrie and Adrian Marrie shared and discussed emerging findings from the first audit of institutional racism in South Australian public health services.
- On Friday 24 July, the Forum was Joined by South Australian Premier, the Hon. Steven Marshall mp for an online discussion on learning from COVID – the impact of emergency conditions for Aboriginal communities and restarting our regional economies.
Find out more, including video of the Premier's address, on our 'Get involved' page.
- 3 Sep 2020: We have published our report of evidence of institutional racism in South Australia's Local Health Networks. Read our report or find out more.
- 2 Aug 2020: New Council membership terms. The following members have been appointed to the Health Performance Council from 2 August 2020 until 1 February 2021 under the Health Care Act 2008: Steve Tully (Chair); Prof Jennene Greenhill (Deputy Chair); Ellen Fraser-Barbour (member); and Lyn Dean (member). You can view our member bios here.
We bid a fond farewell and heartfelt thank you to our outgoing members: Mary Patetsos (Deputy Chair), Brett Rowse, Prof David Roder, Prof Lisa Jackson Pulver am, Rick Callaghan, and Dr Stephen Duckett.
- 15 Jul 2020: We released our report monitoring access and outcomes in mental health in South Australia. Download the report here.
- 5 Jun 2020: We updated our State of Our Health online monitoring publication with new South Australian Population Health Survey (SAPHS) statistical indicators on staying healthy (Chapter 3) and chronic conditions (Chapter 4). Data is presented for South Australia by local health network, age and sex, and socio-economic status.
- 19 May 2020: Download our report on what we heard from our stakeholder consultations in March–April 2020 on experiences of the health system for people living with disabilities. Find out more.
- 15 May 2020: We provided comment on SA Health's consultation draft Consumer, Carer, and Community Feedback and Complaints Strategic Framework. Find out more.
- 27 Apr 2020: We provided an email update to our stakeholders. If you would like to subscribe to our stakeholder mailing list, please email us.
- 23 Mar 2020: We released our indicator report to monitor implementation of the South Australian Health and Wellbeing Strategy 2020–2025. Download the report here.
- 28 Feb 2020: We released the 2020 edition of our annual summary of select health-related Report on Government Services indicators. Our summary compares South Australia’s health system performance with the other states and territories and previous reporting periods. See our Reports page for more information.
- 29 Nov 2019: Read the second edition of our report on hotspots of potentially preventable admissions to South Australia’s public hospitals, published today.
- 26 Nov 2019: Read or download the community edition report of our post-implementation review of Country Health’s Aboriginal Community & Consumer Engagement Strategy.
- 09 Oct 2019: Read the paper we presented to the International Evaluation Conference in Sydney about the governance model of our post-implementation review of Country Health’s Aboriginal Community & Consumer Engagement Strategy.
- 30 Sep 2019: Read our output reports of our visit to the Limestone Coast earlier in September.
- 26 Aug 2019: We released a statistical addendum utilising linked data to complement last year's Revisit review of South Australia's Palliative Care Services Plan 2009-16. Find out more.
About the Health Performance Council
The Health Performance Council is a statutory Ministerial advisory body established under the Health Care Act 2008. We are South Australia’s only external review body providing expert advice to the Minister for Health and Wellbeing on the performance of the state’s health systems. Our advice focuses on health outcomes for South Australians, in aggregate and for sub-population groups; on governance; and on the effectiveness of community engagement.
We produce four-yearly reviews of South Australian health system performance, case studies and other monitoring reports.
Find out more about:
- Who we are and what we do, including:
- The statistics that we publish
- The reports that we produce
- How we consult and how you can get involved
- The major reviews we undertake
The Health Performance Council acknowledges the Aboriginal peoples of South Australia and their ongoing contributions to and participation in the life of South Australia. We acknowledge and respect their spiritual relationship with their respective countries.
We also acknowledge the diversity of Aboriginal people in South Australia. South Australia is estimated to be the area of 50 different language groups at the time of European colonisation and 36 continuing language groups (source: Reconciliation SA). Aboriginal peoples in their diversity have demonstrated resilience and have made significant contributions to South Australia despite the ongoing effects of colonisation and dispossession.